Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Offering 2011: Into Your Light

Poem by Dr Sel S Cabigan, Painting by Dr Abe V Rotor

Light in the Woods, AVR 1995

Today - in postmodern times - we may not be so keen in tracing the birth of Christ, re-enacting it with deep faith and reverence. The explosion of knowledge sweeping the world today has thinned out our focus on this great event, and to a large extent beclouded the historical, more so the spiritual, perspective of the Bible. To many of us, we are just too preoccupied with material things, of power and social status, we celebrate Christmas as a season of merriment and celebration peripheral to the real occasion - the coming of the Messiah.

"Into your light," was written some years ago by my friend and co-professor of a private school, which he recited during a faculty seminar. The poem became an eyeopener to many of us in the group. On my part, I painted an imaginary scenery. It is a simple painting though. But to Sel and I, the painting and the poem became the symbol of our teaching career, and memorabilia when we finally bid goodbye to teaching.

This is our simple offering this Christmas season to all our former students and co-teachers, to the millions of listeners of DZRB and viewers of this Blog. A Merry Christmas to all!

Into Your Light

And I, who affected delving into human brain,
Looking for ways that mimic how the human mind might think;
Confronted by a maze of multitudes of labyrinth
Stood in awe at what I saw: beyond imagining.

So I took hold of one little wand,
Lighter to make of learning tasks;
Hoping that this will lead to where
Your truth will piece my clouded sight.

Lead me to where I should lead them,
The little ones to my care you'll send;
That they may solve this awesome maze
And burst out bright into Your Light. ~

We offer this article as a prayer to the many victims of calamities, specially in the recent tragedy in Mindanao and Visayas. It is also a simple expression of our faith and gratitude to those who have touched the lives of our less fortunate brothers and sisters. ~

No comments: