Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Lost Owl

Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM Band, 8 to 9 evening class, Monday to Friday

Philippine Owl, circa 1969

It fell from its roost, and  that was a long time ago,
and I was then young and eager about the world -
What would I care about an owl suddenly appearing
in broad daylight, and I driving a top-down Ford? 

It gave a kind of queer smile, its eyes half-close,
hunched and still, but I'm not the birdman Audubon -
What would I care about this descendant of dinosaurs,
to tell me its lineage, and I, a link to a larger bond?  

No. I had pressing task to finish, I had to drive fast;
Wait, my partner said, and took a photo of the fellow;
and down the lane and up we went. Years passed.  
I dreamt of a bird on a lonely road, cold as snow.~   

No comments: